How to perform this stretch:
• See if you can sit on your buttocks and onto your heels upright in an upright position
• Ideally toes pointing away. However, if uncomfortable, toes up is okay
• Place the hands behind for extra balance
• Lift the hips towards the ceiling and hold.
If kneeling option is difficult here are 2 alternatives:
• Place cushion(s) between your buttocks and ankles, as shown in the picture
• If difficult reaching your ankles, try a standing quad-stretch using a towel for added reach.
What if I’m feeling pain in the knee?
This may occur due to 1) inflammation, or, 2) wear and tear in the knee.
However, doing this stretch in the long term will reduce stiffness, which is often the cause of pain.